Public Places and Transport
Most visits to Russia are trouble-free, but petty crime does happen in any big city. Be alert to the possibility of mugging, pickpocketing and theft. Pickpockets are most likely to be active in public transport during rush hour and in crowded places. Simply follow these few simple tips and the chances of getting robbed will be next to none:
- Stay alert while in public transport or in the crowd, do not get too absorbed in your gadgets.
- Do not leave your personal items unattended
- Do not go around the city with your bag or backpack wide open. When in a public place, hold your bag in front of you.
- Do not display valuable items, such as – smartphones, tablets, expensive watches or jewellery in public.
- Try not to have large sums in cash on you.
- Do not keep your bank card PINs in one place.